Tuesday, July 31, 2012

On conquering fear of people

To me, politicians have always looked like people with too much of self proclaimed hype and unwanted attention. There were very rare times when I had to confront a politician or gathering of political interest, one of which being recieving a prize for an elocution contest by the then CM of Odisha when I was just 7.  But the first time I was told by an acquaintance, Mr Brahmaiya that I might get a chance to meet Chandrababu Naidu, I was not very excited. Yes, the fact that I am going to meet one of the most influential figures in the State did stir me. The proposed meeting generated a lot of excitement within my friends and peers. At such times, your excitement builds up so much that you start  imagining the meeting  in  many different ways.


Mr. Brahmaiya told me that Babu garu has an innate sense of reading people. It’s all in his eyes. He can read your eyes and quickly sense the sincerity and honesty in your talking. That piece of news kind of frightened me and I started doubting my own intent of meeting him. I was extremely nervous to meet him and thought whether it’s a really great idea to have this meeting. I could as well just shake hands with him and get a picture taken. I started assuming that this meeting would be a very big failure and I would end up looking like a stupid girl. Amidst all this day-dreaming I was quickly called upon, infact was made to push myself through the crowd accompanying Babu garu in the elevator. The elevator was filled  with more than 6 poeple surrounding this Godly figure who was draped in a beige colour shirt and white pant that made a lot of justice to his Godly avtar. The first thing I said was “Sir..err” with the most stupid and not so happy smile. That was when I thought “Omg! i am caught. He must have read my smile. No.. Brahmaiya garu said it was the eyes.”. That was a silly and convincing escape though. I had prepared a presentation that I worked on for hours together but little did I know, this man was least interested to look into a presentation. He politely said, “Amma, I don’t have time to run through this.” That was naturally  quite discouraging especially with the daunting smiles of people around. But I did not give up and I quickly prompted “No problem Sir, we can talk.” And then there was no stopping I went on talking about my idea from the time we were in the elevator to walking till his car. That 10 minute conversation was extremely gratifying for the fact that I could suddenly see my confidence zooming upwards. I took a step forward conquering fear of talking to a great personality. Babu garu patted my back and congratulated me for my endeavours saying, "Keep going. All the best."


The purpose of narrating this incident is to share with you a self realisation that I went through during this incident.

While doing life changing projects( entrepreneurial I mean) we come across many situations and people. Some of whom happen to be extremely powerful and influential. It’s natural to feel self conscious around such people.That mental monster of fear keeps reminding you that “He is powerful. Your comments and ideas are much below his comprehension and interests. You are going to look like a fool in front of him. Step back. Give up.”

Fear of other people is a big fear. There is a way to conquer it. You can conquer the fear of people if you learn to put them in a proper perspective.

Get a balanced view of the other fellow. Keep this point in mind while dealing with people:




The other fellow is important. Emphatically he is. Every human being is. But remember this also, you are important too. So when you meet another person, make it a policy to think, We are just two important people here to discuss somethign of mutual interest and benefit.”- The Power of Thinking Big.

This mutual attitude keeps the situation balanced. The other person does not become too important to you relative to your thinking.

I conquered my fear of other people the day I realised that I am important too.

1 comment: