Thursday, July 17, 2014

Awkward things about maternity.

When I first knew of the news that my sister is very soon going to be a mother, I felt a little shy and awkward about the news. When I met her after 7 months of being pregnant, it felt strange holding her in my arms, her proportions had changed, a baby bump coming in between us. We didn't know what to say to each other. It is a lesser known fact that most families don't even know how to react when they know a newborn member is coming soon. I can bet it's not how they show in movies.


           

She complained her clothes do not fit her well and that she needed newer clothes. I and my family didn't know where to take her shopping because clothes for an expecting mother is not something you get that easily.



When I was in the mall with my sister who was wearing a t-shirt and a jeans, some people would look at her as if she was disabled or something. I do not blame them. I think the reason is it's not a common sight in India yet to see a pregnant woman dressed casually in a T shirt and trousers. Today even in most parts of India, a pregnant woman stepping out of her home is considered unacceptable. This is the reason most women hide it with a dupatta or a stole. As ridiculous as it may sound but this is true. I do not understand why maternity wear is so overrated in India but only inclusion of more maternity clothing brands into retail will change a lot of perceptions.

I work for an ecommerce company myself and I was amazed to see the dearth of maternity wear options across the internet. To my rescue, I couldn't help but notice Morph Maternity . We bought some great lounge wear and comfortable clothing for my sister. Flipkart too has an amazing lineup for maternity clothing.














No comments:

Post a Comment